Each year, globally, more organizations are aware of the direct effect of application quality on achieving customer satisfaction and higher revenue. How are they adapting their testing practices to meet the demands of today’s digital era?
With the growth in Internet of Things, people today expect seamless connectivity and instant access to information, with low tolerance for inconsistent experience between digital channels. Organizations are therefore paying more attention to delivering high quality, reliable user experience. These, and other technology trends, have important impacts on Quality Assurance (QA) and Testing.
The sixth edition of the World Quality Report, co-sponsored by Capgemini, Sogeti and HP, is based on a global market research study conducted among 1,543 senior IT executives. The report provides a commentary on the current trends in application quality and testing practices, and recommendations for organizations to build strong testing practices.
The Current Trends in Application Quality Assurance and Testing
Key insights from this year's report:
- The share of new development projects in testing budgets, including SMAC technologies, exceeds that of maintenance projects for the first time since 2012: from 41% in 2012 to 52% in 2014
- The proportion of Testing in the IT budgets continues to rise– from 18% in 2012 to 26% in 2014. 35% of organizations state that they aren’t satisfied with the budget allocated to Testing.
- The focus on non-functional requirements such as performance, security and ease of use is increasing especially for mobile testing.
- Some 93% of organizations are using agile development methods compared with 87% in 2013. Most still face similar challenges, the largest one being the lack of a suitable testing approach.
About the Report
The World Quality Report is the result of ongoing collaboration between Capgemini, Sogeti and HP Software. Published since 2009, the report is based on findings from a global research study conducted via telephone interviews with 1,543 CIOs, IT directors/managers, VP of applications and quality assurance directors/managers across 25 countries. The research results are interpreted and in-market commentary is provided by more than 40 testing subject matter experts.
The World Quality Report is the only major global research study and expert commentary for Application Quality Assurance and Testing that covers:
- The state of quality and trends on outsourcing, technologies, tools and methodologies
- Industry-specific analysis (Automotive, Consumer Products, Retail and Distribution, Energy & Utilities, High Tech, Financial Services, Public Sector and Telecom, Media and Entertainment)
- Region-specific analysis (Australia and New Zealand, Benelux, Brazil, China, Eastern Europe, France, Germany, North America, the Nordic Region and the United Kingdom)